Je me Présente - There are 10 French thematic sheets for Grades 4-6 to be used at any time during the school year to help improve your students' oral communication skills. Some sheets may act as back to school activities while others may supplement specific themes in your classes. Choose one theme per month and use all 10 activities. This method will provide ample practice for all students! If your students find the exercises too long or too difficult, have them just complete the first paragraph of each theme. This approach will provide an adequate amount of sentences for Grades 4-5.
Here are some helpful instructions that will ensure success in your classrooms:
1. Photocopy the appropriate sheet for your class.
2. Explain your expectations of this exercise to your students. i.e. - Is it simply an oral presentation? Is it being used as a speech for public speaking? Is it being used as a penpal letter? Is it being evaluated? How?
3. Read through the exercise with your students. You may have them pencil in answers as they go along or even translate challenging words. You may decide for yourself whether or not you would like your students to complete the exercise independently, in a group or as a class. Encourage and allow the use of dictionaries.
4. Once your students have filled in the blanks, you may decide to have them handwrite their presentation in order to personalize it. If pressed for time, they can simply read from the photocopied sheet.
5. Explain your evaluation methods to your students. You may choose to use the enclosed rubric in this package or make up one of your own. Give each student a rubric so that they fully understand how they are being evaluated. Explain vague terms to them such as 'pronunciation', 'flow', etc...
6. Assemble your students in partners or in groups to practise their presentations. Encourage enthusiastic presentations rather than monotone readings. Also, discuss whether or not the use of props, etc... will be permitted during these presentations.
7. Assign a presentation date to each student. This will help the student to be prepared for his individual time slot.
8. Distributing the provided 'Exercice d'écoute' sheets to your students will ensure that they listen attentively during each presentation. Have them fill in the required information on each presenter. This exercise can be evaluated and used as a
9. After each student has presented their presentation, hand back his/her evaluation form and send it home for a parental signature if desired.
10. JUST HAVE FUN AND WATCH YOUR STUDENTS IMPROVE THEIR ORAL SPEAKING SKILLS!