Cinema for Spanish Conversation Fourth Edition - This exciting book is designed for courses in which outstanding films from the Spanish speaking world are used as springboards for classroom discussion. In this way, students hear Spanish the way it is spoken and are encouraged to converse about the social and cultural aspects of Spanish-speaking cultures around the world. Each of the sixteen movies covered in the book have been selected for their high quality, interest, cultural value and most are available from World of Reading on DVD.
Each chapter is devoted to one movie, and contains appropriate vocabulary, cultural notes, special terms for conversation and composition, a focus on a specific scene for structured discussion or writing, questions for review and understanding, as well as optional reading sections from directors or critics. This text is especially useful for courses in Spanish conversation, composition, culture, and film, as well as for non-credit community courses and language refreshers.
Cinema for Spanish Conversation, Fourth Edition, engages students in Spanish-language study through the use of feature films from across the Spanish-speaking world. Sixteen films, four new to this edition, motivates students in conversation, writing, and listening skills in addition to providing them with a broad and real-world experience with the culture of the Spanish-speaking world.
Course Instructor Resources: An electronic (PDF only) instructor's manual for Cinema for Spanish Conversation is available to qualified course instructors who have adopted the text for their course.
New to the Fourth Edition:
- Four new critically-acclaimed films, including the groundbreaking documentary Presunto culpable (2008) about the Mexican criminal justice system and the Oscar-nominated No (2012) about the 1988 Chilean national referendum on Pinochet’s presidency
- Updated information about each film, its actors, and directors
- Color screen shots of the characters in the film to help students remember who’s who and to help them discuss the actions and qualities of the characters
- A new section of questions (Opiniones) at the end of each chapter that ask students for their opinions on themes related to the film, sometimes on controversial ones, in order to facilitate active conversation
- A filmography appendix, which provides a list of additional films for each chapter that have similar themes or are from the same region
The films covered are:
1. Bajo la Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon) - Buy the dvd
2. Arráncame la Vida
3. Como agua para chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate) - Buy the dvd Buy the book
4. Presunto culpable - Presumed Guilty - Buy the dvd
5. Hombres armados (Men with Guns)
6. El Norte - Buy the dvd
8. Maria llena eres de gracia (Maria full of grace) Buy the dvd
9. También la lluvia - (Even the Rain)
10. Diarios de motocicleta (Motorcycle Diaries) Buy the dvd
11. No Buy the dvd
12. El viaje de Carol (Carol's Journey) Buy the dvd
13. Flores de otro mundo
14. Todo sobre mi madre (All About my Mother) Buy the dvd
15. Mar adentro (The Sea Inside) Buy the dvd
16. Volver Buy the dvd
Paperback, 324 pages.
Teacher’s Manual/Key: The electronic TM/Key for this text is not available for sale and cannot be purchased. It is available only to instructors who have adopted this text for their courses, and whose schools have purchased the books for their students. A copy of the TM/Key is included gratis with any book order of 5 or more copies for the students.