Alamar - 2009 Mexican film directed by Pedro Gonzalez-Rubio. Jorge has only a few weeks before his five-year-old son Natan leaves to live with his mother in Rome. Intent on teaching Natan about their Mayan heritage, Jorge takes him to the pristine Chinchorro reef and eases him into the rhythms of a fisherman's life. As the bond between father and son grows stronger, Natan learns to live in harmony with life above and below the surface of the sea. Stars Jorge Machado and Natan Machado Palombini. In Spanish with optional English subtitles, 73 minutes, unrated.
Click HERE to see the trailer.
Includes a FREE discussion guide for classroom use!
Accolades for ALAMAR:
- (*CRITICS PICK*) “Luminous!” – Stephen Holden, The New York Times
- (*CRITICS PICK*) “Gorgeous!” – V.A. Musetto, New York Post
- (*CRITICS PICK*) “Relish in the Adventure!” – Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out NY
- “Enchanting! Breathtaking! Spectacularly beautiful!” – David Lewis, The San Francisco Chronicle
- “Shimmeringly beautiful! A lovely idyll.” – Kevin Thomas, LA Times
- “A Gem! …one of the true delicacies of the film-going year!” – Michael Phillips, The Chicago Tribune